A great way to get a start with a new client or new coaching objective is to create a coaching agreement. STORMMES is a sample model you can use to gain greater clarity on the client’s goal and how you will work together for success.
STORMMES Coaching Agreement
S – Subject
- What do you want to work on with me?
- What are your goals for coaching?
- What things should we discuss to get you to your goal?
T – Timeframe
- What is the time frame for this focus?
- What part of this will we focus on first?
O – Outcomes
- What outcomes are you looking for by the end of our time?
- What would a valuable outcome of our coaching be?
- How do you define success for your goals?
R – Roles
- How will we work together on this?
- What are your requests from me as your coach?
- These are my expectations of you as a client
- Educate on what coaching is and is not
- Define special considerations: interrupting, feedback, etc.
M – Measure
- How will you know we have successfully reached our outcomes?
- How will you measure success?
- Where are you now on this?
- Where would you like to be?
- What is different about where you want be than where you are now?
- Why is this important to you?
- What is the motivation for this focus?
E – Environment
- What are the factors might contribute to success?
- What are the factors might impede progress?
S – Start
- Where would you like to begin?
- How would you like to start?
Check in at consistent intervals to understand their progress and any shifts in direction they wish. (Re-contract)